Fazle Hasan Abed is known for his the largest non-governmental development organization in the world, BRAC. He is from a Zamidar family in Habiganj, Sylhet division. Today we will take a look at his life, personal life, career, family, achievements and some interesting facts about him.
|Fazle Hasan Abed Bio|
Sir Fazle Hasan Abed
April 27, 1936
Notre Dame College
University of Glasgow
Syeda Sufya Khatun
Personal Life and Career
Abed was born in Baniachong, Bengal Presidency, British India now in Habiganj, Sylhet Division, Bangladesh. He has passed his matriculation Pabna Zilla School and completed his higher secondary education from Notre Dame College, Dhaka. Then he joined the University of Glasgow at the age of 18. After completing graduation there, he joined Chartered Institute of Management Accountants in London. Then he came back to East Pakistan and joined Shell Oil Company.
|Fazle Hasan Abed Receiving an Award|
He got tremendous success and raised the financial division of the company. While he was working for this company, he saw a cyclone took 300,000 people live. After the liberation war, he came back to Bangladesh and sold his flat in London. Finally, in 1972 he started his BRAC initiative from Sulla, Sunamganj, Sylhet. Sulla is the first-ever Upazila where BRAC started their initiative.
|Fazle Hasan Abed in a BRAC School|
And then he never looked back in his life. BRAC has shown path to millions of people and then they started their initiative internationally.
Read More Biography:
|Fazle Hasan Abed with President A. Hamid|
Awards and Achievements
• The Ramon Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership, 1980
• The Henry R. Kravis Prize in Nonprofit Leadership, 2007
• The Social Entrepreneurship Award by the Schwab Foundation, 2002
• The inaugural Clinton Global Citizen Award, 2007
• The International Activist Award by the Gleitsman Foundation, 2003
• The UNDP Mahbub ul Haq Award, 2004
• Palli Karma Shahayak Foundation (PKSF) Lifetime Achievement in Social Development and Poverty Alleviation, 2007
• Open Society Prize, 2013
• The Alan Shawn Feinstein World Hunger Award, 1990
• The David Rockefeller Bridging Leadership Award, 2008
• Leo Tolstoy International Gold Medal by the Russian Children Foundation (RDF), 2014
• World Food Prize, 2015
• LEGO Prize, 2018
• Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George (KCMG), 2010
• The WISE Prize for Education, 2011
• Thomas Francis, Jr. Medal in Global Public Health, 2016
• Jose Edgardo Campos Collaborative Leadership Award 2016 (South Asian Region), 2017
• Laudato Si’ Award (Institution Category), 2017
• The Maurice Pate Award by UNICEF, 1992
• The Olof Palme Prize, 2001
Some Interesting and Unknown Facts about Fazle Hasan Abed
☑️ Sir Fazle Hasan Abed is the chairman and founder of the world’s largest non-government organization BRAC.
☑️ He was born in Baniachong, Habiganj, Sylhet.
☑️ He is from wealthy, rich and popular ‘Hasan Family’.
☑️ He joined the University of Glasgow and Chartered Institute of Management Accountants in London for higher education.
☑️ Before starting BRAC he worked in Shell Oil as a senior account manager and proved his excellence.
☑️ He left Shell is 1972 to found BRAC.
☑️ He needed fund and that’s why he sold his flat in London.
☑️ He started his initiative from Sulla.
☑️ BRAC stands for Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee.
☑️ In 2014 he ranked number 32, in the list of Fortune’s The World’s 50 Greatest Leaders. That was a huge achievement for Bangladesh.
☑️ Now, BRAC is the largest and most amazing NGO in the entire world. They are operating their services in more than 10 countries.
☑️ BRAC has staffs of more than 100,000 peoples.
☑️ Their first international initiative was started from Afghanistan in 2012.
☑️ BRAC Bank, BRAC University and Aarong are the most popular brands in Bangladesh for education, banking, and fashion. There are many more companies that BRAC owns.
Some FAQ on Sir Fazle Hasan Abed and BRAC
Q: Who is the founder of BRAC Bank?
A: Sir Fazle Hasan Abed is the founder of BRAC Bank.
Q: What does BRAC stand for?
A: BRAC was formerly stood for Bangladesh Rehabilitation Assistance Committee and then it has been changed as Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee. Sometimes it is known as Building Resources across Communities too, in this time.
Q: When was BRAC founded?
A: BRAC was founded in 1972, in Sylhet.
Q: Who is the owner of Aarong?
A: BRAC is the owner of Aarong and its Fazle Hasan Abed.
Q: Who is the Chairman of BRAC Bank?
A: Sir Fazle Hasan Abed is the chairman of BRAC Bank.
Q: What is the largest NGO in the world?
A: BRAC is the largest NGO in the world.
Q: When was BRAC Bank established?
A: BRAC Bank was established on July 4, 2001.